Magpie Tariff & Factsheats
Dhautiyal, near Kotdwar & Lansdowne, Uttarakhand
Magpie Cottage is a beautiful lodge located 40 Km from Kotdwar railway station and 11.5 Km from Sendhikhal in Uttarakhand. Tastefully furnished, this lodge has three rooms with en suite facilities. We have a fully equipped kitchen, ideal for self-cooking. Surrounded by lovely gardens and a stream, this is an ideal relaxing getaway for families and nature lovers. With resplendent forest cover of Sonanadi Sanctuary, this place is excellent for birding, nature treks & wildlife viewing. It is easily accessible from Delhi (250 km) via Kotdwar & Bijnor by road, trains & buses.
Kotdwar: 40 km
Lansdowne: 90 km
Delhi: 250 km
How to reach To get to Magpie, one can take any of the following options: Google MAP coordinates are: 29.755526, 78.728203
Drive from Delhi via Bijnor & Kotdwar: 6 hours
Drive from Dehradun via Najibabad & Kotdwar: 4½ hours
Drive from Corbett NP via Kalagarh & Kotdwar: 4 hours
From Delhi to Kotdwara (morning & overnight ac trains) and the drive via Dugadda & Sendhikhal: (1½ hours).
Best Time to Visit
Situated in the foothills, Magpie can be visited anytime. Summers are warm, winters get quite cold. The best months are October to April.
Non-refundable Tariff (Cancellation not permitted under any condition)
|Rooms||Per night rate||Maximum Occupancy|
|1 Room||3500||3 people|
|2 Rooms||5500||6 people|
|3 Rooms||7000||8 people|
This cottage proves to be economical for guests staying for minimum 3 days or longer. Meals are not included in the price. The guests may get their own provisions & supplies to food. The care takers will help in cooking and in housekeeping. The kitchen is equipped with cooking and dining utensils.
The non-refundable tariff cannot be paid in parts; 100% payment will have to be made in advance at the time of making a reservation. Should you wish to prolong your stay, you will have to make the balance payment at the lodge in cash. Terms and Conditions for all tariffs All tariffs are in Indian currency and are inclusive of all taxes. Validity: till September 30, 2017 Rates are subject to change without any prior notice. To and Fro transportation can be arranged at an extra cost.
An advance of 100% is required. All payments to be made in favor of M/S Asian Adventures payable at New Delhi.
Things to do
If you want to see the wild elephants & tigers in their true habitat, then Halduparao is the best destination to visit. The entry gate to Halduparao is Vatanvasa (7 km from Magpie). Halduparao is one of the oldest rest houses, built more than hundred years ago. It is situated between Sonanadi River and Palain River just before they both merge into the Ramganga reservoir.
This historic town of Lansdowne is situated at an altitude of about 5700 feet above sea level. Lansdowne was founded and named after then Viceroy of India, Lord Lansdowne in 1887, and by 1901 it had a population of 3943. Lansdowne was developed by the British for catering for the Recruits Training center of the Garhwal Rifles. Lansdowne was a major place of the activities of freedom fighters from British Garhwal during British period. Nowadays, the famous Garhwal Rifles of the Indian Army has its command office here. Lansdowne is one of the quietest hill stations of India and is popular since British came to India.
More than 500 species of birds have been recorded in the area. One can have excellent birding opportunities in the lodge itself. Besides, there are numerous walks through the terrace fields into wooded oak and pine forest which are extremely rewarding. Please visit www.junglelore.com or write to us for a complete birding tour.
Yoga & Meditation
The lodge can be hired for yoga and meditation retreat. Should you wish to conduct a programme with an expert teacher from Isha Yoga Centre, do let us know and we shall organize it for you.
The Dining Room & Kitchen
The dining Room in the cottage on the ground floor. Please get your own food supplies and the cook can make it for you or you may wish to use the kitchen for self-cooking. We do not stock beverages at the lodge; the clients may get their own. Alcohol is not served at the lodge; the clients may get their own.
We discourage the use of pre-packaged food items and bottled water as it adds to pollution and is additional cost for us to carry it all the way back to Kotdwara for proper disposal. The guests may get their own food items as per their preference and are requested to take away as much non-biodegradable material with them. We serve filtered water that is safe to drink.
Each room has twin beds with linen, fresh towels and warm blankets / duvets. Heaters are provided in cold weather. Accommodation in the cottage on the first floor: 1 bedroom with attached toilet. Each room has twin beds with fresh linen and warm blankets / duvets. Accommodation in the cottage on the ground floor: 2 bedrooms with attached toilets. Each room has a twin bed with fresh linen and warm blankets / duvets. The rooms do not have the garden view. We encourage you to think about the environment and try to re-use towels & linen. Please place them in the basket if you want them replaced.
- It can sometimes be quite chilly outdoors at night, even in summer, so do dress warmly.
- We do not have an in-house laundry so please carry adequate amount of clothing.
- The power supply is 220V.
- The power supply in Magpie can be very erratic. The government has a load-shedding system and shuts down supply sometimes. Unfortunately, the timings of load-shedding are not fixed, power supply may disappear in the mornings on some days, and in the afternoon on others.
- As our focus is on developing a nature-centric experience at the lodge, we minimize running generators which cause sound and atmospheric pollution. We usually use emergency lights when there is no electricity.
- If there are power cuts for long periods – we provide water in buckets.
- We have electric geyser for hot water
- We have fans in all the rooms
- We would urge our guests to refrain from smoking in and around the lodge, inside the rooms and in the dining area.
- The smaller mammals, wild animals & birds occasionally do enter and pass through the lodge. Guests are requested not to walk alone at night. Please do not walk barefoot anywhere. If there are unwanted guests in your rooms (insects, geckos, etc.) please alert our staff who will remove them.
- We advise you to be careful with your valuables. If there is something you would like to keep safe, our manager will be happy to assist you.
- Magpie does not have a bank to change foreign currency. The nearest ATM of SBI is in Kotdwara, 40 km away.
- Kotdwara is the closet town that has a hospital. We do not have doctors on call.
- Check - out time is 11 am.
- We do not have the facility to charge credit cards at the lodge. We recommend that you carry enough spare cash to pay for any extra expenses that you incur.